Monday, January 5, 2015

Phonetic Alphabet of Confusion

I wanted to make a phonetic alphabet chart, but with words that all have the "wrong" sound at the start. e.g.A as in "aisle" I shamelessly stole most of this from

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2g3fcw/i_had_another_phone_scammer_try_to_call_me_so_i/ckfs07x

I'd wanted to use words instead of names if possible (e.g. for "I", I'm used "Ian" because I couldn't find a word that starts with I but has an "e" or other sound.)

I thought about going through the Wiktionary database but that will take a while to program maybe...

Anyway, here's what I have so far:

A - aisle
B - bdellium
C - czar
D - djinn
E - euphrates
F - effluent (I would prefer a word that starts with "F")
G - gnome
H - honor
I - Ian  (can you think of a word not a proper name?)
J - jalapeno
K - knickers
L - elephant (I would prefer a word that starts with "L")
M - mnemonic
N - Nguyen (resorted to foreign language here :( )
O - ouija board
P - pterodactyl (bonus:  P sounds like T ) 
Q - qat
R - arse (I would prefer a word that starts with "R")
S - schadenfreude (can you think of a non-foreign word that starts "sch"
but sounds like "ch"?)
T - Tsunami (foreign origin, but has been adopted as English so I don't
feel bad about this one)
U - urn
V - vrow (frau) (optionally "vee") 
W - wren
X - Xian  (X is weird anyway, most words sound like "Z" anyway, so I
went with an "Sh" sound (Shee-an) instead! but again - it's a foreign
name, can't think of a word)
Y - yperite
Z - Zsa Zsa  (proper name :( )

No comments:

Post a Comment